DOD technician furloughs reduced to six days
National Guard Bureau
ARLINGTON, Va. - Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Tuesday that furloughs affecting Department of Defense civilians and military technicians will be cut from 11 days to six days.
Hagel said that Pentagon officials found sufficient savings in the final months of the current fiscal year to lessen the burden on those who have had to take a day off a week without pay since early July, according to the Associated Press.
“Hoping to be able to reduce furloughs, we submitted a large reprogramming proposal to Congress in May, asking them to let us move funds from acquisition accounts into day-to-day operating accounts,”Hagel said.
“Congress approved most of this request in late July, and we are working with them to meet remaining needs,” Hagel said. “We are also experiencing less than expected costs in some areas, such as transportation of equipment out of Afghanistan. Where necessary, we have taken aggressive action to transfer funds among services and agencies. And the furloughs have saved us money.”
Responding to that news, Army Gen. Frank Grass, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said:
“Like many of you, I am very grateful for today’s announcement from the secretary of defense that, effective immediately, all National Guard Title 32 technician and Title 5 civilian personnel furlough obligations are reduced to six days (48 hours).
“This is great news for our National Guard military technicians, civilians and their families, who have remained patient and professional throughout this challenging time. The announcement is the right decision for our country, as the restored days will help ensure our National Guard Soldiers and Airmen are better trained and ready to protect this nation at home and abroad.”
Grass said National Guard technicians cannot assume the reduction in furlough days is a sign that the DoD’s budgetary shortfalls and associated readiness impacts are over.
- Guardsmen attractive applicants for Dept. of Public Safety jobs
- September 28, 2016
LAS VEGAS – A burgeoning relationship between the Nevada National Guard and the Nevada Department of Public Safety promises to reduce unemployment and underemployment among the state’s Guardsmen while simultaneously bolstering the ranks of the department’s nine divisions.
- For many Nev. families, honor guard represents face of the military
- September 23, 2016
Because the Nevada Army Guard is the largest Army entity in a state bereft of major active-duty Army bases, it performs the majority of military funeral honor details within Nevada for Army veterans. “For the majority of the population of Nevada, the honor guard is the face of the military,” says Susan Mead, the contractor who works as the coordinator of the Nevada Military Funeral Honors program
- Gov., Nevada Guard co-host multi-state employment assistance summit
- September 22, 2016
CARSON CITY – The Silver State continued to lead the way in the cooperative battle against National Guard unemployment and underemployment this week as Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and the Nevada National Guard hosted the Beyond the Yellow Ribbon Invitational Summit at the Governor’s Mansion Sept. 21-22.
- Nevada Air Guard pilot won cross-country race in first Reno Air Races
- September 15, 2016
It’s been more than a half century since Reno pilot Wayne Adams flew a P-51 Mustang into National Championship Air Races lore.
- 'High Rollers' complete first MAFFS activation
- September 9, 2016
The 152nd Airlift Wing completed its first activation operating the U.S. Forest Service's Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System last week and the first of the unit's C-130s equipped with the system arrived at the base Thursday.