Prevention Treatment and Outreach
Our mission of the Prevention, Treatment, and Outreach (PTO) Initiative is to provide prevention training, outreach and treatment referrals to military members and their families, so as to positively impact retention efforts and combat readiness.
Prevention: Offering substance abuse prevention training to educate our service members in the hazards of drug use related health and military compatibility.
Self-Referral: Offers access to substance abuse treatment resources in a confidential environment free from stigma.
Outreach: Collaboration with civilian and military organizations in order to better serve our service member and their needs.
Contact your Prevention Coordinator if you believe a guardsman or family member needs assistance with:
· Illegal Drug Use Intervention
· Abusing Prescribed Medication
· Alcohol Abuse
· Self Referrals
· Substance Abuse Education
On 1 February , 2012, the Defense Department (DOD) announced an expansion of its drug testing program to include widely abused prescription medications containing hydrocodone and benzodiazepine.
Expired medications should be turned in for disposal rather than flushed, as they can contaminate the water supply.
Law Alert: DOD Expands Drug Testing Program
Treatment Center Link
- To download a form, right-click on a link and select "Save Target As..." from the menu -
Limited Use Policy
- Encourages service members to self refer for substance abuse. Commanders are not required to initiate separation actions on soldiers who self refer.
- Limits the negative actions that can be taken against a service member who self refers and admits drug use or alcohol abuse.
- Protects the service member from charges of admitted use and prohibits the use of certain types of urinalysis test results in courts-martial, UCMJ, or for an unfavorable characterization of service. These results are protected evidence.
- Is not a “Get out of Jail Free Card” for a unit urinalysis. Once a service member is notified of a urinalysis, it is too late to self refer for that test.
- Does not protect a service member regarding future drug use or possession of drugs.
Prevention Treatment and Outreach Office
1776 National Guard Way, Bldg 76
Counterdrug Task Force Bldg, Reno, NV 89502